11.21.2008

skinny b*tch



I'm really sorry for the offensive title....but I think this book is hilarious.

Skinny B*tch was published back in 2005. It was written by two models, one with a master's in nutrition and one with just a lot of dieting experience. (They also used over 100 sources for the book). Here's a summary of the book:
"The frank, "get real" approach of this diet book may be just right for those who have tried and tried without success to lose weight and keep it off. As the title indicates, the language is salty as Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin tell readers just what they must get rid of in their everyday eating: sugar first, followed by meat and dairy. Freedman and Barnouin recommend a vegan lifestyle, and tell why, and then offer more than 75 recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacking. They help readers break through the mental denial about bad food habits, and offer responsible and fun food choices without denying cravings and appetite."

So how did I come to pick up this crazy book?! Well....I was working out with a friend of mine the other day. We were sharing out workout woes (me trying to lose weight, her training for a marathon---so the same thing, right?) I mentioned to her that I had really lost a desire to eat meat since working out with PT. She said that she too had experienced the same thing while working out with her PT. Then she recommended reading Skinny B*tch, which was about the funniest thing I'd ever heard come out of her mouth. I started laughing so hard that I almost fell off the treadmill (seriously.) When I had regained my composure, she encouraged me to go and get a copy of the book. But she didn't want me to reveal her identity, since the title is so risque ...so she'll remain anonymous (ooooooo how mysterious!)

I'm almost done with the book; its a really easy (and short) read. Some of the chapters make total since and some are a little hard to believe. I was a vegetarian for about 6 years before I got married. At this point in my life, I'm planning on going back to strick vegetarian and then moving towards being a vegan.

Let me tell you a little bit of what I like about the book:

1) I learned about artificial sweeteners and how they wreck your blood chemistry.....goodbye Splenda, hello Steevia.

2) I learned what they to do kill and process meat (pork, beef, chicken) and I was so sick to my stomach. I also read about how their environment, laden with infection, impacts our bodies when we consume them.

3) I learned about all the crazy hormones in milk. What the heck is that all about? I'm not a big milk drinker but I'm a HUGE fan of cheeses: goat, gouda, brie, etc. This was really bad news for me.

4) I learned that you can still eat plenty of snacks...the girls recommend a ton of websites and companies. I haven't tried any of them yet, but I definitely plan on checking out the soy dream icream soon!

I'm not trying to truen anyone into a vegetarian or vegan here. And don't worry my little Young Life girls....we'll still make real brownies and cookies on thursdays and sundays :) This is just something I thought I'd try on my parth to a healthier me.

On a less diet-y note:...what are your plans for the weekend? Its supposed to be cool but beautiful here! Its the first weekend in a while (and for a while) that we'll be home the whole time. I plan on working on some Christmas presents this weekend. I know, I know....its not even Thanksgiving yet! BUT, some of my projest require hammering, sanding and painting...don't I sound handy?! And if I don't get them finished soon, people will just be getting a hug instead of a gift, yikes!

....

No comments:

 
Images by Freepik