12.12.2008

I Love Australia!



As we speak, I'm packing up all my belongings and trying to find a way to move to Australia circa 1940. Anyone have any ideas??

This movie is simply amazing; I'm almost at a loss of words, and we all know that doesn't usually happen. It's directed by Baz Luhrmann (who directed, wrote and produced Romeo+Juliet and Moulin Rouge!). Luhrmann is one of my favorite directors, but I was a little nervous when he was recently quoted saying that he wanted to take a "new direction" with his upcoming films. However, Luhrmann was able to take his story-telling to new heights without loosing his distinctive brand of film-making.

Here's a synopsis of the movie from IMDB.com:
In northern Australia at the beginning of World War II, an English aristocrat inherits a cattle station the size of Maryland. When English cattle barons plot to take her land, she reluctantly joins forces with a rough-hewn stock-man to drive 2,000 head of cattle across hundreds of miles of the country's most unforgiving land, only to still face the bombing of Darwin, Australia, by the Japanese forces that had attacked Pearl Harbor only months earlier.

Here are some great reviews for the movie:
"The story is exhilarating. It has its humor and it has its tragedy, classic Luhrmann style. It is set in a heightened state of reality and yet speaks much truth. Get lost in this amazing film."
"I will say this: On the big screen, this is an awesome sight. I knew it would be a spectacle, but I was still surprised by the images at times. I am Australian, and I know of The Kimberley region etc. Still, there are parts of the scenery that I simply did not know existed in Oz. The cinematographer (Mandy Walker) is female, and could well be the first woman to win an Oscar for the camerawork. A nom at the very least."
"If you enjoy the sweeping majesty of the epic movies of old and don't mind settling in to a relaxing storyline that doesn't focus on excessive violence, gratuitous foul language, and Hollywood special effects out the wazoo... then you will enjoy this emotionally involving movie about the human spirit."

Some things I love about the movie:
-The scenery. I lived in Australia during my Junior year in high school---the way they were able to capture the beauty of the country was simply breath-taking. It brought me back to my time spent there in an instant.
-Brandon Walters. This little boy absolutely stole my heart---and the whole film. I'm so thrilled that a young Aboriginal boy was cast in such a film. I can't wait to see what he does next!
-Nicole and Hugh. They have such chemistry on screne that I almost felt uncomfortable...but in a good way! This film shows why Hugh is clearly the "sexiest man alive".
-Its believable. This film did what "movies" are supposed to....I was drawn into the storyline and forgot about the world around me. It made me not want to go see the other "movies" that are out there.




Go and see this film today!

No comments:

 
Images by Freepik