8.11.2011

cook it: not your kid's chocolate chip cookies

I was stalking, I mean lurking, I mean oh-so-casually browsing Facebook when I saw that my friend Jordan was suggesting to my friend Hef that they make Jacques Torres Chocolate Chip Cookies. Since Josh is our resident cookie monster, I figured I try out the recipe.

Wow, the cookies are simply delish. I think the bittersweet chocolate and light sprinkling of sea salt on top make this a cookie that any true dessert connoisseur (uhm, or any girl with a craving) would enjoy. So get your workout clothes on friends...you're going to need to burn a few calories so you can enjoy these delectables. Or you can just enjoy an elastic waistband to eat a dozen or two---trust me, you're going to want to!

Recipe:
2 cups minus 2tbl cake flour
1 2/3 cups bread flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp coarse salt
2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
1 cup plus 2 tbl granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 pounds bittersweet chocolate (min of 60% cacao)
sea salt

1) sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt into bowl. set aside
2) cream butter and sugers together until creamy (about 5 minutes)
3) add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition
4) add vanilla
5) slowly add in dry ingredients. mix until just combined.
6) stir in chocolate chips/pieces
-------now the hard part-------
7)cover the dough with saran wrap (not just the lid, but pressing saran wrap over top of dough)
8) refridgerate dough for 24-72 hours. the longer you wait the more the flavors increase. promise its worth the wait!
-------bring dough back to room temperature------
9)bake rounded tablespoons of dough at 350degrees for 10-12 minutes (don't worry about pressing the rounded balls down, they'll make perfect shapes without you having to do that!)

In true cheapo fashion, I used the ingredients we had on hand. Meaning, I used a mix of 60% and 100% cacao (I had to chop the 100% by hand) and only used swan's cake flour because I didn't have any bread flour. I did make sure to have the eggs and butter at room temperature, a trick I learned from the Magnolia Bakery cookbook. This was my first time using the cake flour. I had no idea that it was so much finer than traditional all-purpose flour---it certainly made a difference in the cookies. Josh didn't love the 100% cacao chips....I think it was because I had a hard time getting the chunks to be small without just ending up with shavings. Next go round I think I'll just use the 60% cacao morsels in the bag.
oh-so-yummy

No comments:

 
Images by Freepik