7.14.2011

Save The Date--October 1st

get your calendar out.
get your pen ready.
seriously.
are you ready?

ready for what??
to kick cancer's ass.
yep, i just said ass on my blog
(oops, just said it twice!)



This past year cancer got personal. In June of 2010 my friend Amy was diagnosed with breast cancer. She found a lump while breast feeding her four month old daughter. This past year has been filled with diagnosis, scans, genetic testing, chemotherapy, radiation, and a double masectomy. But Amy's story doesn't end there, most recently she had a "bad scan" (my words, not hers) at her oncologist's office. It might be back. Amy was literally days away from reconstructive surgery when she got the news. She had a biopsy on Tuesday and they're currently waiting for the results.

And if that wasn't enough for one woman...she recently lost her job. Amy has a tremendous support system and speaks often of her friends, church family and faith in the Lord. I cannot fathom how she does it.

Hold on tight, I'm about to get on a soapbox folks!

So, what are you doing right now? Reading blogs? Drinking some coffee? At work? Up and about being cancer free?? Well, now is your chance to get out your wallets and lace up your shoes to throw a little support Amy's way.

Elliot and I are running the Charlotte Susan G Komen 5k on October 1st. This is our second year to run with Amy's team (Team Patwa.) Last year was the most humbling experience for me, I think I cried the entire run. There were thousands of people running; survivors, supports, men with pink tutus on, babies in strollers, oh geez I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

This is where YOU come in. Give me some money. Better yet, run with me and race your own money. I'm serious. Get off your lazy butt and get out your wallet. Its time to part with some of your most cherished assests (time and money) and give it to such a worthy cause.

Here's how much you should donate:
$25: helps provide transportation for women to get to treatments and appointments
$50: educate 300 women about early detection and breast self awareness materials
$75: provide for a woman to get an annual breast exam
$100: provide for a woman to get a mammogram

And how should you donate??? Click here, its my personal fundraising page for Amy's team. I'm only trying to raise $150, but I'm going to try and do it soley through blog love. That's right readers----make a little tax-deductable donation to Team Patwa---I'll give you a shout out on my blog about your awesomeness!

You can read about Amy's diagnosis on her personal blog here, her most recent scan here and check our her caringbridge site here.

1 comment:

Sunday Grant Photography said...

I would so be there with you on October 1 running for my mom who had breast cancer and running for Amy. I just spent the better part of naptime (funny how my days are timed now) reading Amy's blog. You know I have gone and read her blog and the past and I was so happy when she was cleared of cancer and my heart broke when I read "the cancer is back". I will donate and I will pray mightily for healing and for peace.

 
Images by Freepik