2.17.2009

Tour of California

I need a little disclaimer for this week:

I might be a little hard to get ahold of this week...because I'm going to be hanging out with these guys


Let me introduce you to Craig Hummer, Phill Liggett and Paul Sherwen.
Picture courtesy of Getty Images.


These guys provide great commentary for nearly every important cycling race. No, I take that back. They are on every race worth watching. I love them. Seriously. Sometimes, I pretend that my next door neighbor named Paul, who's British, is really Phill Liggett. (sidenote: Craig is American and Phill and Paul are British. That's why my little story is funny).

Cycling is a sport I've come to enjoy totally because of Josh. What started out as an attempt to spend quality time with my husband has turned into a new hobby of my own. I now like riding with Josh outside and really enjoy keeping up with the professionals. I really like some of the guys from Garmin-Slipstream, Rock Racing and Columbia teams. Yes, there are other guys that ride bikes besides Lance Armstrong.

So what's special about this week? The Tour of California! Its not quite as popular at the Tour de France (I don't think anything ever will be) but its got quite a lot of action and a ton of great riders this year. And we've even got a local in the mix! My friend Chris is driving a photographer, Doug Pensinger, for the tour. In addition to driving, Chris is keeping a blog of the daily happenings on the tour. Be sure to check it out....how neat to have a behind-the-scenes look at the tour!
**Chris is driving the motorcycle on the left

So what races will I be checking out this year?
Tour of California 2/14-2/22
Paris-Nice 3/8-3/15
Paris-Roubaix 4/12
Giro d'Italia 5/9-5/31
Tour de France 7/5-7/27
USA Pro Championship 8/29-8/30

By the way, the USA Pro Championship is held in Greenville, SC. All of you cycling enthusiasts out there have no excuse for not going! Last year we cheered on George Hincapie, Christian Vandevelde, David Zabriskie, Danny Pate, Fred Rodriguez and Tyler Hamilton. How could you possibly miss this event when its practically in our backyard?!

We were thisclose to Christian Vandavelde and Tyler Hamilton, two of my favorites, at last year's USA Pro Championships.

No comments:

 
Images by Freepik