11.25.2009

run for it!

I'm not a runner. I'm a jogger. I'm a jogger who cares more about what hairstyle I'm wearing when I'm running than what my pace is.

Last spring I started jogging pretty regularly. I even jogged the Cooper River 10k with my friend Elizabeth. But it seemed that no matter how far I jogged, 1 mile or 6 miles, my pace was the same---around 12 or 12.5 minutes per mile.

A few weeks ago my friend Lindsay chellenged me to run/jog/complete a half-marathon with her in April. I've convinced some other friends to join in the insanity.....and now its time to start training!

I've been running....which actually looks very similar to my former jogging routine, just a little bit faster. And by little, I mean small. And by small I mean I hardly noticed a difference. I'd been pushing myself on the treadmill, but I wasn't really sure how that would translate into an actual race outside.

This past weekend I went to visit my friend Chelsea and participate in Concord's Santa Scramble; the 5k that kicks off NC's longest Christmas parade.

Just before the start of the race, Josh promised me new running gear if I broke 30 minutes (my previous best time was 32:30ish.) I don't really like to back down from a challenge....especially one with a prize involved! So I started the race and pushed myself pretty hard. Maybe a little too hard. My first mile was 9:30 and my second was 9 even. Who was this runner?! Josh took a picture of me around mile 1.75:

I finished the race in just under 30 minutes (29:56). That last mile was a doosie, but I managed to crawl across the line.......and win a new pair of Nike running capris from Josh!

No comments:

 
Images by Freepik