7.06.2010

run free

So, I'm in the second week of training (18 weeks) for my first full marathon. To be honest, the training hasn't been that different that what I've been doing. I'm lifting weights, cross training and running between 20-30 miles each week.

So....I'm liking it. I'm liking training for a marathon. Ok, ok...I know I'm on week 2, I'm barely 10% into my training. But still....I thought I'd hate it.

I've read several books and articles about barefoot running. And while I'm not ready to dump my Asics just yet, I do like the philosophy behind a minimalist approach to running. I want to run with as little crap as possible (seriously, do water bottle drops instead of carrying that hydration pack--you look like a moron). I could care less about having the newest and latest shoe, MP3 or GPS. Just hand me my Road ID and dog-repellent spray and I'm out the door.

I know that running is just cardio for some people; a way to keep away those vanity pounds. But for me its different: I want some time away, to unplug, be cellphone free, off the grid, to be alone and with Jesus at the same time. I don't want "me" time, I want "me-at-my-best" time; when I'm not reacting, complaining, judging....when I can re-focus on God's goodness and purpose for me.

Am I getting too deep and spiritual about exercise? Oops.

Back to the point....I want to run free and un-encumbered. And this shoe is going to help me:

This is the Nike Free Run. In Vivid Pink. There are several shoes in the Nike Free series: 7.0, 5.0, Free Run and 3.0. The series was designed to help a runner "step-down" into a minimalist shoe (by gaining new/different leg-strength). The 7.0 is good for someone new to running and will provide the most support and last flexibility. I'm getting the Free Run because I'm already running a lot, I don't have any weird wear patterns on my shoes and also because I'm not ready for the 3.0.

My new pair is in the mail...yay!

I realize that I just said that I don't rely on the newest gear, and here I am writing about my new shoes.....but they're more of an "alternative" training tool than a new gadget. I'll use them on some recovery runs and then hopefully transition into running my longer runs in them when my Asics finally give-up. (although, I would like to note that I'm gonna try and get 3000 miles out of them--that's the distance from NYC to San Fransisco...then I'll make Josh take me to california to celebrate!)

No comments:

 
Images by Freepik